Friday, January 11, 2008

growing a garden..

M & V and I are starting to work seriously on plants and soil. 18 free trees have been delivered by Parkway Partners and 7 more are still coming for all of the property owners who asked for one on the front of their property. Marilyn at NOFFN has offered volunteers to put the trees in the ground; that should happen next Tuesday.
We are about to plant some rye grass on the farm site and on the front of my property (see picture below) to reduce the run off of water off the front onto St. Peter. I am researching bamboo for the front of the wooden yurt and will be picking out a type that does not take over the front of the property.
Trying to find soil in the city is problematic; the person at the place that Macon recommended was incredibly hostile and told them they were closing next week. Went to Grant's place (Laughing Buddha on Cleary), and he was gracious and helpful.
All of the AgCenter literature is out, as we read and puzzle about which type of fig trees and citrus trees we want to have on the farm and in our yards.



Next, is the vetiver for soil erosion; stay tuned!

1 comment:

Go Green NOLA said...

Hi There-

Wonderful blog! I wanted to let you know about a website I created:

www.gogreennola.org

We have a grow green section and I just put a NOLA Locavores page up. I would love if you would send me an entry and I can link to both your blog and your page on nola.com.

Best,
Lillian